"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

It All Started with a Boy in Brazil


I have been sitting here today thinking about my Compassion kids. It is hard for me to believe that 2 years ago at this time I had just begun sponsoring Rodrigo. I hadn’t even received a first letter from him yet. I knew nothing about this little boy, but I was already in love with him. He was already a part of my family.

The little boy that stole my heart 2 years ago

What if I had chosen not to pick up a packet that Compassion Sunday? What if I hadn’t listened to that still small voice that said I could make a difference for a child in poverty? My life would not be the same. I wouldn’t have 22 beautiful children that I write to and encourage and who have blessed my life immeasurably. My life wouldn’t be making an impact in Brazil, Uganda, Bolivia, the Dominican Republic, Togo, Kenya, Haiti, Ecuador, the Philippines, India, Bangladesh, and Indonesia. I wouldn’t run to mailbox every day hoping for a cream colored envelope. I wouldn’t have the passion for missions that I have today. I wouldn’t have gone to Bolivia. And I wouldn’t have gone to Haiti. My life would not be complete, nor would there be as much joy in it. I would not have the life I know now if I had not stopped and looked at the Compassion packets that Sunday night. I cannot imagine life without my 22 little (or should I say big) blessings. 

Have you ever thought about sponsoring a child? Maybe you have wanted to make a difference somehow, but you weren’t sure where to even begin. Maybe you are afraid that your measly $38 a month isn’t going to make a difference, so why bother. Well believe me when I say it does make a difference. You can change the story for one boy or girl today by sponsoring a child with Compassion International! If you are interested in sponsoring a child, click here or click on the Compassion banner on the side to check out some of the many faces of real children who are living in poverty. Even if you are not in the place to sponsor a child right now, maybe you could just go to the site and pray over those children. Pray for them specifically by name. Pray that they are healthy and safe. Pray that they know the love of Christ, and that they will grow strong in Him. Pray that their sponsor finds them soon.  Maybe you could even choose one child to be your prayer child. Pray for that child throughout the day. Post about them on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. Tell your friends about them. Here is my prayer child for the week :

Proceed to our secure online form

Christian is a 9 year old boy living in the Philippines. He has been waiting for a sponsor for 187 days. He lives with his mother. His father is in prison. Christian loves soccer, basketball, and playing with cars. Please pray that Christian finds his perfect sponsor soon. If you are interested in sponsoring him, you can click on his photo or click here

Is this your time? Are you ready to start the journey of a lifetime? All it takes is one simple step- saying yes to a child in poverty. Be the change today!

4 comments:

  1. Hilary, how crazy! I started sponsoring 2 years ago about this time and my child was a boy in Brazil too :) God has done some pretty crazy things through sponsorship :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy! It is amazing to think that I have gone from 1 sponsored child to 13 in 2 years, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I just love my kids so much!! God knew what He was doing when he had me pick up that child packet 2 years ago :)

      Delete
  2. I love this story! I also went from just one child, who I sponsored 4 years ago to now having 10 kids that I write to, the last 9 added in the last year. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have increased too... we sponsored one little boy in 2008 and between Lysa and me (my little boys) we sponsor/correspond with 6. God is faithful.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete