"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Homecoming


Ever since I can remember, since I was a little girl, I have wanted to start an orphanage. I wanted to take care of children who had no one. No one to say “I love you”, no one to pick them up when they fall down and scrape their knee, no one to kiss them goodnight and tuck them in bed. This was my dream. It still is. So when I heard that the team would be working at an orphanage in Haiti, I knew that I had to go. I had held this dream in my heart for so long, but I had never been to an orphanage or worked with orphans. This felt like it could be a first step towards fulfilling this long held dream. 

And as I stepped off that plane into Haiti for the first time, those beautiful orphans that I would soon meet where on my heart. I didn’t know their names, and I didn’t know their faces, but that didn’t matter. Because I knew they were beautiful and I knew that I loved them. Because God loves them.


Haiti is a truly beautiful country!

Monday was the moment I had been waiting for. It was the day we got to meet the children I had been praying for and excitedly waiting to love on. As we drove up to the orphanage for the first time and saw the children excitedly waiting outside, I felt like I was home. I felt like this was where I belonged. This was my homecoming.  The kids ran to us and were so excited to see us and hug us and they wanted nothing more than for you to hold them or to sit on your lap. I was so glad that I had brought Frisbees, a soccer ball, and football, because there were no toys to be seen. We got those out, and the boys were laughing and kicking the ball around with some of the guys on our team. Those smiles could just light up a room. It wasn’t too long before, I had two sweet girls with their arms around me. We were just happy to stand there arm in arm and smile at each other. That is until, I got my camera out. Suddenly I was the most popular person there. Everyone had to have a turn taking my picture. I came home with more unflattering pictures of myself than was necessary! 




With all the love, smiles, laughter, and games that were going around, I really hadn’t had time to take in the conditions these children were and are living in. The pastor in charge of the orphanage gave us a tour of the living facilities, and it was mind blowing. I really couldn’t see much of anything during this tour because it was so dark in the house. There is no electricity and no running water. I’m not sure where they get their water from, but I know that we couldn’t take our water bottles out around the children and some of the young adults or they would surround you begging for just a little drink. The bathroom is a hole in the ground out back. For the little ones, it is anywhere they are at the time they need to go. Even if they are sitting on your lap. The babies don’t have diapers. There are maybe 2 or 3 beds in the house. There are at least 15 adults and over 40 children that live there. And only 2 or 3 beds. Everyone else sleeps on cardboard. Can you imagine living like this? Can you imagine your child living like this? And this is their normal. This is what they call home.  I wanted to cry for these babies- these beautiful Haitian babies with so much love to give and so much potential. Will they ever reach their potential?

The orphanage

One of the few beds in the orphanage


I had only been there one day, but I was already falling in love with this country, with those children, with the beautiful Haitian people who so desperately need the hope of Jesus Christ.

Pastor Murah- the man in charge of the orphanage

Magdalia- my best friend for the week

Michkianda- my other best friend for the week. Poor thing had the chicken pox.

Come to find out my best friends are best friends :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, they are all just so beautiful.

    It absolutely breaks my heart hearing how the children would beg for a little drink if you took out your water bottle. I hope they are getting enough to drink!

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a big world and full of needy people. Glad you are helping some!

    ReplyDelete