"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Prayers for Haiti


I will be in Haiti in 3 days. I will be stepping off the plane around this time on Sunday. Stepping into a world that I have never been in before, a world where not everyone has a place to live, parents who love them, and food on the table. And I’m kinda terrified. Excited, but terrified. I always feel nervous before going on mission’s trips, especially to a place I’ve never been before. But this time, I’m feeling more afraid than nervous. I’m afraid of what I will see and what I will feel. Satan doesn’t want me to go to Haiti. He doesn’t want me to tell the beautiful children that I meet that God loves them, that they matter. He doesn’t want me to fall in love with Haiti. He doesn’t want me to become uncomfortable with the comfortable life I have been leading. Satan wants me to continue living for myself while every 5 seconds a child dies from hunger. While little boys and girls cry themselves to sleep because their mommy and daddy died in an earthquake. While children are left at orphanages because their parents can’t feed them.

And sadly, I kind of want to keep living for myself too. It would be so much easier to not go to Haiti, to fill my mind with boys, and clothes, and Facebook, rather than the thoughts of people dying day after day without Jesus. But easier isn’t always better. It usually isn’t better at all. So Satan has filled me with this fear. Fear of letting it all sink in. Fear of being changed.

Please pray for me and the team as we head to Haiti for 6 days. Pray that our hearts will be open to take in all that God has planned for us while we are there. Pray that will be God’s hands and feet to children who are in need of so much love. Pray that Haiti will see a change in this generation. That the Haitian Christians will rise up and lead this country back to God. 

I also am hoping to meet Giberline, the 8 year old girl that I sponsor through Compassion in Haiti. Compassion is still trying to work out the details for her to be brought to wear I am staying. Please pray that if we are supposed to meet that everything will work out. 
 

Thank you for keeping us in your prayers! 

4 comments:

  1. Love what you wrote here. Very open and honest, and so true. Serve God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and He will lead, guide and open doors to a selfless life full of peace and joy.
    Blessings, Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and the team and the children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the line "Satan doesn't want me to go to Haiti." It love that you understand that. Fear really is from Satan and I've been trying to learn that lately.

    I'm guessing you're not going to Haiti with Compassion? I hope you get to meet your Giberline!

    ReplyDelete