"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I Left My Heart in Haiti


Last week at this time I was in Haiti. It seems really weird to say that. I never thought that I would go to Haiti. It just wasn’t on my list of places to go. So when I did decide to go to Haiti, I vowed not to fall in love with that country. I couldn’t afford to fall in love with Haiti, when I already have my future all planned out. I was going to do mission work with children in the Philippines and spend time in Ecuador and Bolivia. And then probably start my orphanage somewhere in South America.  Haiti just didn’t make the cut. It wasn’t in the plan, so the last thing I needed to do was fall in love with the poorest country in the western hemisphere. So I would go, and I would love on the children there, but I wouldn’t fall in love. This was a onetime thing. That’s all there was to it. 

This was my mindset as our plane got closer and closer to landing in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. I craned my neck to see out the window as Haiti came into view. My heart beat faster and my palms got a little sweaty as I got my first glimpse of the Haitian mountains. I didn’t even know that Haiti had mountains! I felt the heat wash over me as I stepped off the plane and breathed in my first breath of Haitian air. I was in Haiti. Only 2 hours from Miami by plane, and I was in poverty stricken Haiti. I had no idea at the time how spending 4 and a half days in Haiti would change my life. No idea that I would fall in love with this country. But I already know I have. 




I have so much more to share about Haiti and my time there, but I will leave you with these photos to whet your appetite!

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful photos! I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete