"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Saturday, June 30, 2012

I Miss You, I Miss Your Smile


I said a little prayer this morning as I walked to the mailbox. I really, really wanted a letter from one of my Compassion kids. More specifically I wanted a Bolivia letter- either a first letter from Cecilia or a letter from Rosa. I knew it would be way too soon to hear from either Kevin or Lucela again. I have been missing my Bolivian babies lately and wishing I could hold them in my arms again and hear them laugh. But a letter would have to do for today.  I prayed with all my heart, but tried not to get my hopes up. The letters would get here when they get here. But I wanted one today. 

And God saw fit to send me one today! My palms got a little sweaty as I pulled that cream colored envelope out of the mailbox. I tried to be patient, savoring the moment, but I had ripped into it before I had even gone 10 steps from the mailbox. And then I saw it- BO591. A smile spread quickly across my face as I realized I was holding Cecilia’s first letter! My step quickened and my heart raced as is hurried back home where I could sit on the couch and read this precious letter from my sweet Cecilia. 


I held that letter delicately in my hands like a treasure as memories of our time together raced through my mind.  I remembered laying eyes on Cecilia for the first time and how I fell in love with her immediately. How later in the morning when she saw me she ran to me and I held her in my arms till I thought my arms would fall off. How she gently brushed her hands over my hair and told me it was pretty. How she sat on my lap at lunch and I shared my rice with her. I tried to get her to eat my uncooked vegetables, but she would have none of that. How she came to find me before she left to say goodbye. How I didn’t want to her to leave, but she had the biggest smile on her face as she wrapped her arms around my neck as we said goodbye.  I remember how loved I felt that a 5 year old girl whom I had never met would choose me. Choose me to lavish her love upon. I basked in her love and cherished every moment that she was in my arms not wanting it to end. 



With this in mind, I read my sweet Cecilia’s letter:

Dear Sponsor Hilary,
We greet you in the peace of our Lord Jesus. I am Cecilia’s tutor. Cecilia and her family thank you for the help you offer her. They are so glad to know the news. She is a peaceful girl, she likes to play with dolls and being the cook. Her best friend’s name is Daniela. She likes to eat soup. She lives with her father Felipe and her mother Albertina and her siblings Cristian, Nataly, and her little brother Jhoel. Cecilia helps her mother in the kitchen and to keep the house in order. She is in 1st grade at school and she is 6 years old. Now we say goodbye with love wishing God bless your life.
Cecilia (Lixy- tutor)

Just knowing that Cecilia is mine and that she helped write this letter makes me want to jump on the next plane to Bolivia! The sweet little pictures she drew melts my heart, but even more the fact that her little brown hands have touched this piece of paper that is now in my hands. It is an amazing thought when I really sit back and think it over. Cecilia’s older sister and brother are also in the Compassion program. Cristian is 9 and Nataly is 8. I believe that I met Nataly, but I’m not sure about Cristian. I just love this little girl sooo much!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment