"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Haiti on the Horizon


Yes, Haiti is on my horizon! I have the amazing opportunity to help at the “Redemption for Haiti” orphanage the last week in July. 

It’s funny how this all came to be. Haiti wasn’t in my plan. Haiti isn’t on my list of countries that I’ve always wanted to visit. But God’s plans are definitely not always my plans.  Actually His plans are very rarely my plans. And that is a good thing. Because God’s plans are always so much better than mine!

I have always wanted to adopt. Adoption is something I have always felt passionate about. Children without parents who just need someone to love them.  I remember the Haiti earthquake and hearing about all the children who were orphaned by that. Seeing photos of those beautiful black children made me want one of my own. It was then that I knew I wanted to adopt from Haiti. I wanted my own little girl with bright colored ribbons in her hair. I ended up sponsoring a little Haitian girl with ribbons in her hair. Giberline is 8 and she is very special to me! And I also have the privilege to correspond with an 18 year old young man named Olibris who lives in Haiti. The desire to adopt from Haiti is very much still alive. 

                            Giberline Dass         Olibris Jean
                                         

This just a little of how God has put Haiti on my heart. I have always felt a connection to that country, but I had never thought about actually stepping foot into Haiti until last month. As most of you know, I am a Compassion sponsor. Compassion is something I am very passionate about, and I spend a good deal of time on Our Compassion. OC is a social networking site, kind of like Facebook, but it is all people who sponsor/correspond with children through Compassion International. It is a great little community where we share about our sponsored children, prayer requests, and what God’s doing in our lives. A fellow OCer, Lori, asked me for prayers as she would be returning to Haiti in July to work at an orphanage that her church has been helping. I shared my excitement and prayers for her trip, and told her how I have always wanted to start an orphanage and also adopt from Haiti, and of course how special Haiti is it to me because of Giberline and Olibris. 

That is when God stepped in. God put it on Lori’s heart to ask me if I would be interested in going to Haiti with her church team to help at the orphanage. She wanted some help to start up a sponsorship program to benefit the kids who live at the “Redemption for Haiti”. This was so unexpected, but it felt as if God had renewed my passion for Haiti in the span of a week. It felt like God had placed this opportunity in my lap, and there was nothing for me to do, but plan to go. "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying- Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said- Here am I. Send me!"  ~Isaiah 6:8

I’m so amazed at this opportunity God has given me. Going to Haiti scares me, but I know that God has a reason for sending me there, and there is nowhere safer than being right in the middle of God’s will!

Oh and I have to share some photos that Lori sent me of the children at the “Redemption for Haiti”! You will see why I have fallen in love with those children already, and you just might be packing your bags and hopping on a plane for Haiti today :).

Beautiful Kids!

I am already in love with Belande- the little girl in the purple dress!

Hearts of Love :)

1 comment: