"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Monday, March 19, 2012

Mail Call: Uganda

I love Uganda letters! They are always so sweet and full of life that sometimes I wish that they came more than they did! I got letters from both of my Ugandan sweeties today- 15 year old Carolyne and 5 year old Babita. Carolyne's letters are always short, and I sometimes wonder if she is burntout from having sponsors who didn't write and correpondents who have dropped her in the past. It just makes me want to write her even more and include a big hug to soothe her spirit. Babita must have the bubbliest personality because her letters are always so long and she says the funniest things! I would love to see her in person and listen to her chatter away.

Carolyne's letter was written on January 10th:
Dear Hilary Hopkins,
I am greeting you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. How are you over there. I want to thank you for the Christmas gift you sent to me worth 40300F and out that I bought the following items: cloth of 15000F, shoe of 10000F, meat of 70000F, and I enjoyed that money with our family. I pray that the almighty God bless you. Good bye.
Akumu Carolyne

Straight and to the point, but cherished never the less. I am so glad that she was able to share her Christmas gift with her family.

Babita's letter was written on January 6th:
Dear Hilary Hopkins,
Zubeda is saying that with lots of joy sends her warm greetings to you and your family in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. She is saying that she feels blessed to have a loving, caring, and encouraging sponsor like you. Zubeda says that thanks alot for the letters you send her full of words of strength, encouragement, and comfort. She is saying thank you for the letters you sent her recently and she says that really she loved them and that thank you for the verse you shared with her in Jeremiah 29:11. She is saying that she really feels comfortable for God to know of her future.
Zubeda is saying that thanks alot for the monthly support that you send her and that she was happy for the Christmas gift you sent her. She is saying that she enjoyed so much the Christmas party which was organized at the center and she says that really you missed it because there were lots of food and drinks like cakes and sodas.
Zubeda says that she was helped by her mother to buy the following items from the gift you sent her.
1. Dress- 15000F
2. Shoes- 10000F
3. Meat and Rice- 10000F
4. Bread- 3800F
5. Photo- 1500F
Total- 40300F
Zubeda says that her memory verse is in Psalms 31:14. "My trust is in you oh Lord; you are my God." She is saying that she wishes you and your family a happy and prosperious new year and that she will continue loving and praying for you and your family every day. God bless.
Babita Zubeda

Isn't that the cutest letter! Her birthday is on Christmas so I wonder if the gifts her and her mom shopped for together were from that money. And see how one of the things she got with her gift money is a photo...well I think I got that photo!

Look, she has hair!!!


It looks like a backdrop that she is standing in front of. I hope that she got to keep a copy of the photo, but I'm going to send her a copy just in case :D

Great Mail Day!!

3 comments:

  1. What wonderful letters! That little Babita is super cute and happy! And that picture! So cute.

    I've been hoping for a letter from my young man in Uganda lately. Maybe this means one is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get a Ugandan letter soon! They are soo fun. Kayla, have you heard of Our Compassion? It is a social networking sight for people who sponsor or correspond with children through Compassion. I think you would really enjoy it. People share ideas about what to send kids and they share the letters they get. You should check it out! It gets kind of addicting. Here is the website- http://www.ourcompassion.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I'm on Our Compassion already. I do like it!

      Delete