"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

For My Beautiful Rosa

It is hard to believe that I only have 32 more days until Bolivia. I am so excited to have this opportunity to meet my Rosa and to see the beautiful country that she has grown up in. I have been doing everything I can to be ready for this life changing trip! The trip is paid for, my Visa application is done, and I’ve gotten all of my shots. The shots may not have been fun (though they did give me a lollipop. I don’t care if I’m 22; if you offer me a lollipop I’m taking it), but what was fun was getting the opportunity to tell people why I am going to Bolivia. People find it very fascinating when you tell them you are going to meet a child that you sponsor. That definitely piques their interest and then they start asking questions. And I just love sharing about Rosa and the whole sponsorship experience. I always have to hold back the tears as I tell them about the letters she writes and how special she is to me.

                The best part of preparing for the trip has been shopping for Rosa. I love shopping for other people, especially children so this has been super fun for me. One of the best experiences was in Build-A-Bear workshop. I have to say that I love that place! I dragged my mom in there to help me build a bear for Rosa. Not really because I needed the help, but because I couldn’t bear the humiliation of someone I know seeing me building a bear by myself. My mom wasn’t as enthusiastic as I was about the whole Build-A-Bear experience, but she is a trooper. So of course we had an overly enthusiastic sales clerk come up to us wondering what brought us to Build-A-Bear today, as we stood a little overwhelmed by all the bears to choose from. When I told her that we were there to build a bear for my sponsored child that I was soon going to meet in the near future, she was so excited. She had never heard of such a thing and she thought it was amazing. She had lots of questions which I was happy to answer. She gave us free reign of the store to try different outfits on different bears, until we came up with the perfect bear for Rosa. This is what we came up with:
Isn't She Cute?


                My second big “Rosa Project” was to make a fleece blanket for her which is something I have never done before and will probably never do again. I am not artsy or crafty and I don’t have any sort of patience. But my sister made each of the family members a fleece blanket one Christmas, so I was able to convince her to help me make it. Ok really I helped her make it….and I may have just been in the way, but I tried to do my part. And it was a fun yet challenging experience.


Our Finished Product!


                Well I think that I have pretty much wrapped up my shopping for Rosa. I love all the things that I got her and I’m so excited to get to see her open them. I got her the Build-A-Bear, the fleece blanket, a Hearts 4 Hearts doll, a doll outfit, a backpack, a Spanish Bible, a journal, a photo album that I’m going to put some pictures in, a sketch pad, colored pencils and sharpener, a hairbrush, flowery barrettes, and finally a toothbrush. Can you think of anything else I should bring her? I would love any input or ideas.
What do you think?!

3 comments:

  1. I think you did great shopping for her! How are you going to get it all there?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she will love everything! The only other thing I may include would be some type of family gift. I know Compassion suggests things like a set of sheets (they can be used for many things), or maybe towels/washclothes? If I remember right those are the family gifts I gave to my girl in India....I am sure there are lots of other things they would def. appreciate that we totally take for granted. Another thing I took her was a frame, so later when I sent photos from our visit she could put them in the frame, or if you have a family photo of them you could make a copy for them and frame it. 32 days! So exciting! It is going to be here so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, I'm not sure how I'm going to get it all there. I'm sure there will be some packing and repacking before I get everything in.

    Rebecca, thanks for the ideas! I was thinking of getting a set of sheets for Rosa's mom, I just haven't done that yet. I'm glad you reminded me or I might have forgotten :)

    ReplyDelete