"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mail Call: Ecuador

When hunting for modern day treasure, you don’t have to go any farther than your post office or mailbox! Those cream colored envelopes hold something much more valuable that gold, more precious than diamonds, and more beautiful than rubies. I would take a letter from one of my kids over diamonds or gold any day! Today those cream colored envelopes held treasures from Ecuador, a country close to my heart. I received a reply letter from sweet little Carolay and….drum roll please….a my very first letter from Alexandra, my jungle baby! And on top of that, I got a letter from Alexandra’s pastor- a closer look into Compassion’s work in the Ecuadorian jungle.
Carolay’s letter was in reply to a letter I wrote to her back in June. It was written on October 14th. I love that 8 year old Carolay is writing her own letters now!
Dear Hilary Hopkins,
I hope you are well. I am very happy to get your letter and write you back. You look really cute in the picture and your sister too. Your mom is beautiful. I am doing well in school, there I am also learning some of dance and I really enjoy it. My father is working in a different city, but he comes every Saturday and Sunday. Please pray for my family. Read this very Psalm 40:1. Tell me, how are you doing? How is the university going? I help my mom at home washing the dishes and cleaning. I close sending you lots of blessings and hoping to hear from you and your family soon.
Love, Carolay Gonzales
I was thrilled to receive my very first letter from 6 year old Alexandra- the sad little girl I almost missed out on back in November. I’m excited to get to know this beautiful girl!
Dear Hilary Hopkins,
Receive cordial greetings in the sweet name of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am Carolina. I am the collaborator of the Compassion Project 261. Alexandra cannot write because she is so young. She lives in the village of Santiak. She is 6 years old and studies in 1st grade of primary school. She likes drawing and swimming with her friends and her siblings. In Santiak there are beautiful views and rivers and birds. The noise of the jungle really is marvelous and Alexandra is so happy to live here. We say goodbye. Thanks for supporting her.
Cordially, Alexandra and Carolina
Doesn’t that make you want to hear the marvelous sounds, see the beautiful birds, and swim in the jungle?  Alexandra also drew this adorable picture with her letter.


The pastor’s letter gave some great insight into life in the jungle. It was a very interesting read!
“The communities that we visit are not easy to access and the only way to get there is by light plane. Each community has its own landing strip made by the people in the area. These are places where people do not have the same comfort and services most of us have….Our children get very excited every time they see a light plane landing because they know a letter from their sponsor may arrive.”
I wish I could see the faces of the kids when the plane lands in their village. It makes writing those letters all worthwhile. To know that they put a smile on my children’s faces! Has your mailbox held any treasure lately?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hilary,

    My friends Chad and Andi Irwin are missionaries with MAF. Chad is a pilot of one of those light planes you talk about. Here is their blog address:
    http://irwininformer.blogspot.com Maybe you can find some pictures of them arriving at a jungle spot.

    Love,

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing out this blog to me! It looks really interesting. Hope all is well in Ecuador. Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete