"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crazy Love

This week I did something crazy and impulsive, and I haven’t told anyone. It was a decision made out of a moment of crazy love.
Some people would tell me it was stupid and I’m not being very wise.
Others would just smile and nod while all the while rolling their eyes and shaking their head when I’m not looking.
Then there are the ones who couldn’t care less.
Very few people would be genuinely happy and excited for me. Very few people would understand. But God does. Because He is the one who invented crazy love.
Yes, I sponsored child number 8. It wasn’t planned; it just sort of happened- thus the impulsive part of this crazy decision. It’s funny how we make all these plans for ourselves and God takes them and turns them upside down and suddenly we are doing something that isn’t in the plan. Sometimes the best decisions we make aren’t in the plan. They just sort of happen. Like this one.

Omelisa wasn’t in my plan. But she has always been part of God’s plan. From the day she was conceived God knew what her life would consist of. What she would be like as a baby, how well she would do in school, and what she will be when she grows up. God knew that when Omelisa was 8 years old, a 22 year old American girl with a passion in her heart for children living in poverty would choose to sponsor her. God knew that on January 5, 2012, a 22 year old would fall in love with the sweet smile, squinty eyes, and chubby cheeks of an 8 year old Indonesian girl. God knew that the life of a little girl living in the slums of Indonesia and the life of a young woman trying to find her way in America would be intertwined. God knew that His plan for me and His plan for Omelisa include each other. That is what I call crazy. Crazy love!
Omelisa reminds me of myself at 8 years old. One of her chores is taking care of children. At 8 years of age all I ever wanted in life was to have lots and lots of babies. (Ok that is still all I ever want.) Omelisa loves to sing and play dolls. I think I played with dolls until I was 13, and I to this day have a song for everything. It doesn’t matter what you say to me it will usually remind me of a song. And, Ome is above average in school. I remember being so excited to get all A’s on my report card in 3rd and 4th grade. Funny how God can use the experiences of an American girl who lives a very blessed life, to change the life of an absolutely beautiful 8 year old Indonesian girl.
God works in mysterious ways, and I love it!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! You sound like you have a lot in common with me (or did when we were 8 lol, but I haven't changed that much I'm sure :p ) Ome is very blessed to have you :) I know I said it on OC, but I'll say it again here, she's a beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so cute! Congrats on #8!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I just couldn't resist :). Teresa, I was looking at your blog, and it does sound like we have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete