"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

They're Why

Many people wonder why I would want to sponsor children. Why I would want to spend so much of my finances on someone I don’t know. So much of my time thinking about and praying for children I may never meet. They’re why. Rather than tell you, you have to read for yourself.
“I wait excited for your letters and pictures. Stay with God.” -Rodrigo, age 9, Brazil
“Babita says she loves you, and that her family members love you so much.” –Babita, age 4, Uganda
“I have you always in my heart and in my thoughts.” –Rosa, age 11, Bolivia
“Without knowing you personally, I love you very much, and I feel like you are part of my family.” –Rosa, age 11, Bolivia
“I want to thank you for being my special friend and keep me.” –Mariela, age 8, Dominican Republic
“I am so happy to be sponsored. May the Lord bless you.” –Winner, age 5, Togo
“I give glory to God for your life. Thanks for your prayers and your love for me.” –Winner, age 5, Togo
“Hillary says he loves you and appreciate your help and sponsorship.” –Hillary, age 4, Kenya
“Joy invades my heart every time I am thinking of you to write to you.” –Olibris, age 17, Haiti
“Carolay likes for you to call her “my beautiful Carolay”.” –Carolay, age 7, Ecuador
“It makes us happy to receive your beautiful letters and to know how your life is because it makes happy our hearts.” –Carolay, age 7, Ecuador and Gisela (her tutor)
“I’m so thankful that you sponsored Gil. By now his father is already dead and I can’t afford to send my children in school.” –Ludivina, mother of Gil, age 6, Philippines
“Maam Hilary, Gil is very thankful that you are his sponsor. Thankful too for the school supplies and uniforms he received.” – Ludivina, mother of Gil, age 6, Philippines
“Neha likes attending the center as she learns and grows up well in the knowledge of Jesus.” –Neha, age 13, India
“Thank you for your love. I love you.” –Asha, age 11, India
That is why I choose to sponsor children. These kids are finally realizing that they matter. Not only to God, but to a 22 year old white girl living in the USA. What could be more rewarding than that? What else could I be doing to further the kingdom of God that could so easily bring tears of joy, tears of sorrow, and such laughter at the adorable little things that these kids want me to know? They are learning what love feels like and how to love in return, they are learning about Jesus, and they may even be going to school for the first time! They are so thankful for having a sponsor because they are seeing the change in their life and that is so exciting to me! Right before my eyes, letter by letter, I am seeing these children grow, mature, and find a deep love for Jesus. And that my friends, is why Compassion is such a huge passion of mine!
If you would like to sponsor a child too, and absolutely change their world for the better, I have 13 little darlings, ages 4 to 11 that I’m looking for sponsors for. Please let me know if you want to be a shining light in the life of a child! You may not be able to change the world, but you can changed the world for one child.

3 comments:

  1. I get asked that question too, but less and less these days, because people see the joy, and more and more, they ask about the kids as though they were asking about my own (biological) kids.

    My answer is usually "Why do I sponsor these children? For the same reasons that people give birth to children... they're delightful and such a blessing -- the hope of tomorrow, today."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new reader to your blog and have been reading over some of your posts. This entry just amazes me. How amazing sponsorship truly is. I sponsor two children from World Vision and correspond with three from Compassion. How did you get to correspond with so many children? They told me the limit is three.

    I'm a 22 year old white woman living in the U.S too. I wish I was able to financially sponsor as many children as you do, but it turns out a first year preschool teacher with a whole bunch of college loan debt can't do that. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kayla! I'm so glad that you found my blog. Isn't sponsorship amazing? I just love being able to sponsor and correspond with kids all over the world. It amazes me to think that there are children on other side of the world who know my name, and I'm making a difference in their lives! When I started requesting correspondence children, it was before they had put the limit of 3 as a rule, so I was able to get quite a number. I also correspond with my mom's sponsored child.

    ReplyDelete