"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Every 5 Seconds

I have been reading the book "The Hole in our Gospel" by Richard Stearns, and this stastic struck me like a lightning bolt!
Every 5 seconds a child dies from hunger. Just another horrifying statistic in a long line of horrifying statistics. Every 5 seconds a child, with a face, with a name, is gone. And no one even cares. It is so easy to walk away from the statistics. They are just numbers. We might feel sad for a moment and then go on with our daily lives. But every 5 seconds, somewhere in this world there is a mother crying because her precious baby is gone too soon. In the time it takes you to read this blog, I don’t know maybe 20, 30 kids will be dead. Just like that, their lives are over. While I was watching NCIS, 720 children died. While I was laughing at Abby’s antics, 720 tiny graves were dug. Seven hundred and twenty mothers will go to bed tonight knowing that their little boy or girl is gone. Knowing that they will never grow up to fulfill their dreams. All that God given potential, gifts, and talents are gone. And that is only in the 1 hour that I watched NCIS.  An hour later, 720 more children died, and then 720 more, and then 720 more, and on and on it goes. Yet we feel nothing. This doesn’t break our heart. We have become numb to the sorrow and tragedy of all those lost lives a world away. I bet God’s heart breaks. He knew each of those children’s names, what talents and gifts they had, what they could have brought to this world. He even knew how many hairs were on their little heads. I wonder what breaks his heart more. These little lives being snuffed out or the fact that we, his followers, are doing nothing about it. When we truly let this sink in, that so many little lives are being lost day after day, children without a future, it becomes overwhelming. I wonder what their names were. Did a little one named Hilary lose their life today? What did they look like? No wonder we walk away from the statistics. It’s a whole lot easier to live our comfy lives when we aren’t thinking about the children who died today all over the globe. As it finally registers in my brain, I want to run. So much tragedy, so much sorrow, so much death, what can I do about it? How can I do my part to stop this suffering? I don’t know yet, but I have to do something. I can’t keep living with my back turned away from them. I can’t keep living for myself when every 5 seconds a child dies from hunger.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading The Hole In The Gospel a few weeks ago, and it's a continuation of how I already felt, the path that God had already led me too... and it was a hard read, but I couldn't put the book down, I refuse to turn away from the knowledge that is needed, the knowledge too many shy away from.

    We all have within us the potential and the resources to turn the tide. Thankful to have you walking this journey with me, sharing the same heart.

    ReplyDelete