"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Sweet Girl

This is Winner, my 5 year old in Togo.


Just look at that amazing smile. You would think that her life is one filled with happiness and love. I thought that when I first saw her. I never would have expected what I learned about her just this week. She told me that she lived with her guardian, and that she never saw her mother or father. I thought that maybe her parents worked some where else making a living so she couldn't be with them. But what I learned is absolutely heartbreaking. Winner told me that her she is the only child of her mother's. And when she was born her mother dissapeared and no one knows where she is. Winner doesn't know her mother and she doesn't know her mother's face. Can you imagine what it must feel like to know your mother left you, to just be abandoned like that. I don't know how she smiles when at 5 years old you have never known your mother. I don't know how she smiles, other than the fact that she must know the love of God. Only knowing Jesus could make this sweet girl smile under the saddening circumstances she is. I am so blessed that God has given me the opportunity and responsibility to speak love into Winner's life.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful girl, and what a blessing I am sure you will be in her life.

    ReplyDelete