"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Countdown is On

Only 55 days until I get to be in Ecuador again! It is hard to believe that I haven’t been there in almost a year. I remember how terrified I was to get on that plane 2 years ago on my first trip to Ecuador. I knew that once I got on that plane there was no turning back. I would step onto that plane in the United States, my comfort zone, and step off into a foreign land where nothing was as I knew it to be. I wanted to go to Ecuador, and I knew that God wanted me there, but I had no idea what to expect when I got there.  It takes one big leap of faith to leave what you know for something unlike anything you have ever experienced, but if you take that leap of faith God will bless you in ways that you would never have imagined. It is amazing to me how I can be homesick for a place that I have only spent a little over 2 weeks in, but I am. The people of Ecuador are never far from my thoughts and prayers. Last year while in Ecuador one of the ladies we met gave each of our team members a friendship bracelet the colors of the Ecuadorian flag- yellow, blue, and red. I have worn it around my ankle since the day I left Ecuador so that every day when I look at it I am reminded of the beautiful people and land of Ecuador. I can’t wait to get there this year, and show my Ecuadorian friends that I haven’t taken it off since then- that I have thought of them EVERY SINGLE DAY since I left them. I can’t wait to see those dark children with their big smiles just content to play with the little they have or to make up a game outside. I want to be more like these children- just happy to be alive and content with what God has given me. The people of Ecuador inspire me with their fire for Jesus and that inner joy of being completely reliable on God. I want my life to be like that- where I completely rely on God for everything, and not on myself or my material things.


No comments:

Post a Comment