"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Sunday, June 12, 2011

15 Pieces of My Heart

This week I was able to have my first interview for becoming a Compassion advocate. Being a Compassion advocate means that I have the privilege and responsibility of speaking up on behalf of children everywhere who are living in poverty. I get to raise awareness about the issues that are affecting children all across the globe and show Christians how they can be a part of releasing children from poverty in Jesus name.  Children in third world countries need to be not only released from physical poverty, but spiritual poverty as well. Compassion International’s ministry is one way that we can “speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute” (Proverbs 31:8). I am excited to share my passion for missions and children in poverty with others around me.
Now I think it is time that I introduce you to the 15 children who inspire me. I wouldn’t have the passion for children in third world countries that I do if it wasn’t for them. I wouldn’t be speaking up for children in poverty if it wasn’t for them, and I wouldn’t be becoming an advocate if it wasn’t for them. These kids have opened my eyes to the needs around the world, and I love and admire them for it. I sponsor 7 children and correspond with 8 more through Compassion International’s child sponsorship ministry. I am sure that I have mentioned some of them before as they are constantly in my thoughts, but I want to officially introduce Rodrigo, Babita, Rosa, Mariela, Winner, Hillary, Giberline, Olibris, Carolay, Gil Jr, Betty, Neha, Asha, Carolyne, and Sargo to you all.
Rodrigo was my first sponsored child, and he is why I have such a passion for Compassion! He is 9 years old and he lives in Brazil. Rodrigo loves playing with cars and he always sends me a Bible verse in each of his letters. The best thing he has ever told me is to stay with God.

Babita was a Christmas present to myself. She is my African princess and she was born on Christmas day! She is 4 years old and she lives in Uganda. She loves to read and to swing and she wants to be a nurse when she grows up. Babita comes from a Muslim home so I hope that through my sponsorship she can learn to love Jesus.

Rosa is my beautiful 11 year old from Bolivia. Bolivia has always been a country of interest for me so I decided that I would like to sponsor a child from Bolivia. I asked Compassion to choose a girl for me, and I am so happy that I have Rosa now. She looks so sad, but I hope to someday see a smile on that pretty face.

Mariela was my first correspondence child. She is 7 years old and she lives in the Dominican Republic. She is so happy that I get to be her special friend now and I am so happy about that too! Mariela loves to play with dolls, play ball games, and play with her friends. She loves to learn so she loves going to her Compassion center.

I wasn't planning on sponsoring another child when I saw Winner on the Compassion website. But that adorable impish smile let me know that she was meant to be mine. Winner is 5 years old and she lives in Togo. She doesn't see her mom and dad very often, but she lives with her tutor who loves her. Winner loves to play soccer.

One day I thought about how cool it would be to sponsor a child with the same name as me, and I decided that if I ever found a child with my name I would sponsor them. That very same day I found Hillary. Who would have thought that a 3 year old in Kenya would have the same name as me! Hillary loves playing soccer!

Giberline is my 7 year old from Haiti. She has such sad eyes and a scared expression on her face. It was like she was asking me to love her and show her that she matters. So that is exactly what I am going to do! Giberline loves dolls, but her favorite thing to do is carry water.

Olibris is my oldest correspondence child. He is 17 and from Haiti. I never expected to have a child as old as him, but I am excited to get to know this young man. Olibris has been part of Compassion’s program for 7 years and he has never received a letter. I am so excited for him to start getting letters from me. Olibris likes soccer and math.

Carolay is my Ecuador girl! She is 7 years old. I have been on 2 mission’s trips to Ecuador and I love it there so much so I am so excited to have a little girl in Ecuador. Carolay loves to tell stories and play ball games. She is an above average student in school, and Compassion has given her so much confidence!

Gil Jr is 5 years old and he lives in the Philippines. I wanted a child from the Philippines because my best friend is going to be a missionary there. Gil lives with just his mom because his daddy died. He loves playing basketball, cars, and marbles.


 Betty is my second Bolivian princess. Since sponsoring Rosa, Bolivia has been heavy on my heart, so now I have 8 year old Betty. Betty loves to play with dolls and she has 6 siblings! She is my newest sponsored child so I don’t know much about her yet, but I’m excited to have her as a part of my life!
Neha is actually my mom’s sponsored girl, but I get to write letters to her too. She is going on 13 years old and she lives in India. My mom wanted to sponsor a girl in India because our pastor adopted a little girl from there and she is beautiful. Neha loves art, and she has 2 siblings.

Asha just turned 11 on June 5. She is from India just like Neha is. She loves walking, art, and playing house. She is a big help to her family by selling and buying things in the market. She is also one of 4 children in her family.  I just love Asha’s sweet smile.
Carolyne is my second girl from Uganda. I have been thinking of doing some missions work in Uganda so I wanted a correspondence child from Uganda along with my sponsored child. Carolyne is going to be 15 this year and she is just beautiful. She loves volleyball, singing, and art. Carolyne’s dad died so I bet she helps her mother with her 6 siblings.

Sargo is the final installment to my Compassion family! Isn’t the most adorable little guy you ever did see? Sargo is 6 years old and he is from Bangladesh which is a very poor country in Asia. I have never thought much about having a child in Bangladesh, but I have heard nothing about good things about Compassion’s work there. I’m excited to get to know this little guy.

Thanks for letting me introduce you to 15 pieces of my heart! I am loving being a part of their lives, and I'm hoping that all of you will enjoy getting to know them as I share more about their lives with you! And if you want to take a leap of faith a sponsor a child you can with Compassion International!

1 comment:

  1. You have quite a big and beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete