"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
~James 1:27

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Haitian Letter!

Today I got my first letter from my Olibris in Haiti! Olibris is 16 years old and he is one of my correspondence children through Compassion International. A correspondence child is a child that is sponsored by a business or someone who is not able or willing to correspond with the child, and a correspondence sponsor is found for them. I don’t sponsor Olibris financially, but I sponsor him through letters that show him just how special and loved he is by God and by me. Olibris has been financially sponsored by the same business for 7 years and in this time he has never once received a letter. This saddens my heart because Olibris must feel as if he doesn’t matter or that his sponsor does not care about him. I am so excited to have the chance to change this for him, and show him just how important he is to God! Reading this first letter from Olibris is wonderful because I get to learn more about him, but I can almost tell through it that he feels like, what is the point of writing a letter because I probably won’t get one back. I can’t wait for him to receive his first letter from me and realize that someone out there thinks he is special and loved.
In my letter I learned that Olibris lives in the mountains of Haiti. He lives with his mom and he has 5 brothers and sisters. He is the 5th child in the family. Olibris loves rice, math, soccer, and the color green. His favorite thing to do is move the goats. He asks that I pray for him to succeed in school and in the certificate exams. (He is 16 years old, but he is only in the 6th grade.) He also asks that I pray for him to have more intelligence in school.
This child of God’s is already so precious to me, and I can’t wait for him to realize how loved he is by God!

3 comments:

  1. That is so great imagining him get his first letter. He's gonna be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a slow couple of weeks for letters here, so I am happy to hear about yours!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm awaiting my first letter from my new Correspondence Child, Loruis from Haiti (HA-398). Loruis is 19 years old; I've written him several letters in the past few weeks. Glad to see you sponsor a child in Haiti!

    ReplyDelete